The High Way Home?
ABOUT THE HIGH WAY HOME? PROJECT
The High Way Home? is an interactive website that takes an experiential learning approach to mobilizing knowledge. Its purpose is to increase the awareness of youth and young drivers with the risks and harms associated with drug-impaired driving. The site guides users through real-life scenarios where they must make decisions about cannabis use and driving.
Partnering with Desjardins Insurance in developing the project, the Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA) consulted youth focus groups during the planning stages to ensure that the website would be impactful and resonate with users. CCSA developed the website to address key findings identified in research we conducted in 2017 for the Canadian Youth Perceptions on Cannabis report. These include:
- The prevalence of cannabis use and cannabis-impaired driving among youth;
- The effects of cannabis on the body and on driving performance;
- Collision rates and serious injuries resulting from cannabis-impaired driving;
- The unfamiliarity of young people with the methods of detecting cannabis-impaired drivers; and
- Their lack of awareness about the legal and personal consequences of drug-impaired driving.
- Author: The Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction & Desjardins Insurance
- Article Source: The Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction